George Rogers Clark born on November 19, 1752 and later was a soldier from Virginia during the American Revolutionary War. He was the leader of the Kentucky militia throughout much of the war, Clark is best-known for his capture of Kaskaskia and Vincennes which greatly weakened British hold in the Northwest Territory and the British soon ceded.
Clark’s achievements came when he was young and before his 30th birthday. Clark had financed the majority of his military campaigns with borrowed funds. Because of record keeping during the war he was unable to claim any of the promises that he was given for his military service. He did however claim thousands of acres of land but he lacked the ability to make money from it.
He grew bitter with age and began to also struggle with alcoholism. He settled in a cabin overlooking the Ohio River in Indiana.
George Rogers Clark suffered a severe stroke in 1809 and fell into an open fireplace. He suffered a burn on one of his legs that later had to be amputated. He was forced to move to Locust Grove so his sister and her husband could take care of him. Clark was the older brother brother of William Clark who was one of the leaders of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
In 1818 he suffered another stoke which proved to be fatal. He was originally buried at Locust Grove but later was reburied at Cave Hill Cemetery in 1889.
Cave Hill Cemetery
Given out at a celebration at George Rogers Clark Park in Indiana.
A Tour of George Rogers Clark Park in Clarksville Indiana
Construction on the bridge began in August 1910 and was completed in November 1912.It cost over $2 million dollars. It was one of the heaviest and largest plain truss bridges on earth.
(In this vintage postcard you can see the K&I Bridge)
It was primarily designed to carry railroad traffic and is is 70 feet wide
It has wagon ways on each side. These were paved with heavy creosoted wood blocks and were intended primarily to accommodate horse and wagon traffic…which used the bridge on a toll basis. Cars and trucks replayed horse drawn vehicles.
The creosote paving blocks remained until 1952 they were replaced by steel grid work.
February 1979- a section of the roadbed broke under the weight of an overloaded gravel truck. Traffic has been closed since to any cars or trucks.